Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

My Mum and I received an e-mail from the US Army in regards

Customer Question

My Mum and I received an e-mail from the US Army in regards XXXXX XXXXX stepdad returning home from active duty. We had paid all the neccesary payments to the US Army which included my stepdads Request of Leave and Air Flight Tickets. We then got a e-mail from them saying that he would be returning home and that we had nothing else to pay and that the next e-mail from them would be of his Flight Details to New Zealand. A day after receiving this e-mail from them they dishonestly sent another e-mail demanding $2,500USD for medical bills. They had already promised to my Mother and Stepdad that there was to be no more payments once Air Flight was paid for. We feel like we have been cheated and lied to by the US Army about the payments and can't figure out why we now have to pay for a medical after the Air Flight has already been paid.
So we would like to know why exactly they reckon one thing and do another and also why the medical bill payment cant be covered by them for there lying to us and bringing it up after Air Flight is already paid for?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

I'm going to assumed that your mother has never actually met your stepdad and that they met online.

The reason that I'm assuming this is that every expense you are talking about is fake. The U.S. Army does not require military members to ever pay for their vacation or for their medical bills. When we see people being asked to pay for these things, it means only one thing. They are being scammed by a person pretending to be a military member out of the country of Africa, where this scam began.

So, you have not been cheated and lied to by the U.S. Army. You're being cheated and lied to by a network of scam artists in Africa.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can we tell if it is a scam when everything that we have been receiving from them has a department of defense letterhead and we also have emails with names and we were told that soldiers are allowed out but as he is a CSM it was different and we have photos of him with other army men and we also have copies of all the emails from the place that has been doing all the corresponding with us, and the email they are using is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

The reason that you know it is a scam is based on the money they are asking for, which clearly demonstrate an ignorance of the U.S. military system.

Once again, soldiers NEVER have to pay for leave. They either have leave available and can freely take it, or they don't have any available and can't take it. There is no such thing as the ability to pay for leave. Family members NEVER pay for a soldiers medical expenses. We have the best insurance in the world, which pays 100% of all medical expenses, no matter how high. It is not different for CSM or any other rank.

Your statements have confirmed to me that they met online. This is absolutely a scam.

Getting pictures, names, letterhead, all of those things are easy for a computer scammer. These photos almost certainly come from the hacked account of an actual soldier that no longer has control of that account, or more likely, the scammers stripped the account and then closed it and opened another one with all the pictures they needed. You can go get DOD letterhead right now online. It's not hard to find.

I'm sorry. She needs to report this issue to whichever agency in your country deals with fraud. We have been dealing with this scam extensively in our own country for over a decade.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you got the resources to be able to look up CSM Catherine Davies and CSM Paul Peterson as they are claiming they are the Claims Processing Directors Of the Benefit Department Of the US Army, US Department Of Defense, 1400 Defense Pentagon, Washington DC 20301, and is CSM James S Ford serving in Kabhul, Afghanistan? We dont have the resources in New Zealand to find out if they are or not

Those are names tied to scams. That is not a real department in the Army.

Here is a website showing that CSM Catherine Davies name has been used in relation to these scams.

http://www.male-scammers.com/scam-emails.asp?id=338

I will be leaving now to take my dog to the vet. I'll be back if you have further questions, but do not send anymore money to these people. She is being scammed. I am 100% certain of this fact

I have returned from the vet.

If you have further questions, please ask them.

If not, I would ask that you rate my service so that I receive credit for the work I have done with you.