Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

I am a retired Army LTC and my estranged wife just passed away.

I am a retired Army LTC and my estranged wife just passed away. She was receiving a portion of my retired pay. I spoke with OPM and DFAS and they both said that they required a copy of the Death Certificate. However, they did not say if it could be a Xerox copy, a Certified True Copy, or an Original Copy. Can you help me re. which type of Death Certificate is required?

Thank you for the information and your question. There is no requirement that the copy of the Death Certificate be certified. Since it is a "copy" it does not have to be the original. So a legible copy of the original will do.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me the source of your information?
Hello again and thank you for your reply. I can tell you from personal experience, since I have had to submit a death certificate myself. However, if you go online to DFAS and look at instructions for notification of death of any retiree or annuitant, which would be the same rules as someone receiving a portion of retired pay, you can see that it states that a copy of the death certificate is all that is necessary. I can tell you that if they wanted a certified copy or an original, DFAS would say so.

Here is one of the pages you can take a look at: http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/survivors/annuitant-death.html