P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I just want to say thank you very, very much!

Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Wow...thank you for taking the time to do this. Seriously, I get paid a portion of the money you give to the site...but gestures like this are greatly appreciated. I wish you the best of luck with this fight.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I just talked to the DFAS, and they did received the paper work. I just found out that they ask me to include a form DD Form 2656 instead of Form 2293. So the form I submitted was Form 2656 which survivors right. the person I spoke to said she will forward my reguest to the garnishment dept and I shd wait 30 days for their respond. What shd I do now?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I want to make sure I got this...you filed the 2293 but now they want a 2656?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The form that they ask me to send them was 2656, thats the only one I sent them along with the court order. No 2293 was reguested in the letter, so I never sent a form 2293. I am sorry I was not sure of the form, but now I founf all what I had sent and there was no 2293 because DFAS never ask me to send them.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh

THank you

That makes sense...that is, it makes sense why the claim did not process. The 2293 is the form DFAS needs.

Now...this is sloppy on their part...you are not a DFAS employee...you do not know all this information! So I would have expected them to notify you "hey, sorry...you sent the wrong form" at some point.

Seems that did not happen.

Again, I am sorry that DFAS is not doing their job...heck...they are paid by both you and I!

Get them the 2293...that should solve this soon. If it is not done in 2 weeks I would contact your congressman...this is really sloppy on their part.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The civilian employee did not even tell me to sent anything, just wait to 30 days. They do not seem to care either. Actually the person become interested in talking to me when I said shd I consult a lawyer for this. So I need to sent 2293 form to the same address I sent my paper work-
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Yes ma'am. But I would send a letter as well and mention what you have done so far.

And I would "cc" the letter to your Congressman. Wait 2 weeks...if you get no response? Call your Congressman and complain. Again, this is sloppy (in my opinion)
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. I will do just that.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Yes Ma'am, best of luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just contacted my ex-husband thru the phone number of one of my grown kids. He said that US Navy cancelled all payments when the the child support payments stop. Is this legal?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...I do not understand what you mean by

He said that US Navy cancelled all payments when the the child support payments stop.

Can you explain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When he retired, I was receiving part his retirement, and child support for 2 kids. The other one turned 18, but the other still 14 years old, when the child support stopped for the child that turn 18, all payments stopped too including the child support for the 14 year old. He said the military stopped all.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
That is totally separate. Child support is totally separate from his obligation to pay you a portion of his pension as ordered by the court as distribution of marital property.

ALSO, if he is 100% from the VA, he is receiving CRDP (combined receipt of disability pay...he gets BOTH VA disability and his retirement pension)

I would really consider having a local attorney help you filing a contempt case against this person...it sounds like he owes you a considerable amount of money.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any idea how much hiring an attorney would cost me?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
No Ma'am, since it depends on what they have to do and how long it takes. There is no way I can even begin to give you a range.

But one thing that may help...if he is in contempt, you can ask the court to order he pay your lawyers fees.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer