P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My wife and I recently joined the army and we both just graduated

Customer Question

My wife and I recently joined the army and we both just graduated AIT, we did have a joint account together and she receieved all the extra allowances, separation pay, BAH, etc because she left to basic before i did, she ended up meeting a fellow soldier at her AIT training and they are currently together, therefore we are separated. She created a new account and instead of atleast splitting the money she keeping most of the money ( all the extra allowance) starting march. We used to make about 3000 every 1st anf 15th, now i only get $759 and she gets everything else. Is there anything i an do to get some of the money back or change the allowance? Plus she keeps telling me she went to talk to somebody about a divorce and they told her it wont happen untill 5-6 months, i believe she is lying and just wants all the money she can get.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

I understand the background information about your wife...but not sure I understand our question...what is your question please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the allowences the her and i are suppose to be receiving is under her pay and since she changed her bank account she is now getting all the allowances to herself while i jus receive my base pay
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

SO have you contacted your command to apply for the allowances in your pay?

If so what was the response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i havent told my command, im gonna inproccess at my new duty station in june, can i change the allowances then? Or take the allowances away completely? Im at home town recruiting right now
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
SOrry, I have to step away so I will opt out and allow another expert to assist. If no one can help, I will be back in a few hours and will assist further
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry agin for the delay.

You will need to make this change through your command. If you are attached to a recruiting command now? Then you can ask them to make the change.

But I bet they tell you to wait till you join your permanent command. That is since if there is any issue with the change input, the command making the change is in the best place to fix. So when you check in, go to your personnel office office and they can make the change. Bring a copy of the marriage certificate and make sure they know your spouse is active duty.

They can make this change for you. Easy.

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to help if I can