Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

my friend has osteochondroma on his right knee

my friend has osteochondroma on his right knee it causes major pain and doesn't want surgery because knee surgery is risky and it will only come back he also had it before the navy can he get a medical discharge for it or possibly a retirement

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

He can apply for a medical discharge, but the problem is that he had this before he joined the service. They are going to avoid any sort of medical retirement based on that fact.

Now, as long as he disclosed this issue to the Navy before joining, they will consider his military service to be an aggravating factor in his injury and can choose to medically separate him with a partial disability rating. If he is not happy with that rating or the military just decides to separate him with a a rating he can still use the VA to show service connection between his injury being made worse and his service, and get a rating from the VA instead.