Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

I received an Article 15 in Feb. 2013, forfeiture of 1/2 a

I received an Article 15 in Feb. 2013, forfeiture of 1/2 a months pay for 2 months is one of my punishments. It is now May and the Army has not taken any money from me yet. Is there a time limit for the Army to collect the forfeiture or could it just hit at any time down the road, when ever they feel like it.

Thank you for the information and your question. I am guessing that someone dropped the ball on the forfeiture, unless your Commander decided to suspend them. That is because forfeitures are generally taken right away. Is there a chance that your Commander suspended your forfeitures and you just didn't realize it ? If forfeitures are suspended, they never take affect unless the servicemember gets into trouble again within 6 months. Otherwise, if the Command did drop the ball, then technically they could take the forfeitures anytime within the statute of limitations for NJP. That would be 2 years. However, that would be very unusual.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.