P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

Im a student in a Navy Corpsman "C" school. I informed my

I'm a student in a Navy Corpsman "C" school. I informed my school's Chief of two student's cheating. Two months later, the investigation is over and the two students went to Captain's Mast. Both guilty. One of them decided to accuse me of cheating in an unrelated manner showing screenshots of text messages between us from 3 months ago. The guy accusing me has been caught lying throughout his investigation and has no credibility. It is obviously for revenge.

When questioned, I explained how searching for "fake iphone screenshot" provides numerous sites to instantly make fake screenshots. I will be questioned by Command Master Chief among others on Monday. I feel staying silent is the best option. Do you agree?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Silence the best option?

Without a doubt.

Under Art 31, UCMJ, you have an absolute right to remain silent. And as an accused, that is almost always the best way to go.

Many reasons for this. In my experience as a military prosecutor and defense counsel, I have found that the vast majority of cases sent to court martial contain a statement from the accused. If not a confession, then a statement that helps the government prove their case.

There is rarely a good reason to give a statement if you are accused.

You can simply invoke your right to remain silent and leave it at that...they can not use that against you in any way...if they can not prove your guilt without a statement, no use in helping them along