Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

Im 17 and am soon to be getting married to my bf of 5 years

I'm 17 and am soon to be getting married to my bf of 5 years in the state of WA. He is in the Navy and is 21. My parents will be consenting and it's legal in my state. Once were married, will the Navy say anything?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. If you are asking if your fiance would be violating military law by marrying you because you are 17, then the answer is no. As long as your relationship is legal in the State where you are married, which it is, then it is legal. In addition, even if you were not married, under the UCMJ "carnal knowledge", which is the military equivalent of statutory rape only applies to children under 16 years of age. You are considered emancipated (an adult) when you marry, so that is not an issue either.

Might someone tease him or give him a hard time from an interpersonal perspective, maybe. Because of your age, they might, but that isn't anything that will affect his career or get him in trouble. He can just ignore that, like others do when people kid them about stupid things, and stick to his job.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal question I answered for you on the 3rd of May. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue if needed.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes! The site wasn't working for me. I never got a notice saying you sent me an answer. I'm sorry! Well since this is a legal marriage and the navy will be okay with it, will our marriage be recognize in the state of California. We plan to move there 2 months after we marry and does he need permission from his chain of command to marry?
Thank you for your positive rating and letting me know about that issue and I will let the Site administrators know. Yes, California will recognize a marriage that is legal in the State where is occurred. So, there is no issue because of your age. No, he doesn't need permission from his Command to get married. He only needs to ask for leave if he is taking time off to do so.

Best of luck to you!