P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

what are the state requirements for the three veterans homes?

Customer Question

Category: Military Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you want one typical and that I like call XXX-XXX-XXXX for "how to organize and Direct an Effective Resident Council" for a Technical Assistance Manual of the Missouri Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will be 89 next week and what I still have is time.

I am curious about a resident council here at this facility.

It has nothing to give direction as to its function or roberts rules or something in writing to give it direction.

I search other states and found some

I liked the one from

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That Manual is typical and the best I know of and I have searched

Expert:  wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Sir, I am a veterans services officer so I have some insight into the admissions process for the homes...can you tell what it is you are looking for? You want to know the basic requirements for admission to a home in NJ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This facility in Vineland NJ has a resident coucil with no writtten guidance. Other states do. Does NJ?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking about the admissions criteria for that particular facility?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the state of NJ have any rules about resident councils. other states do and it is needed here

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that clarification.

The answer is yes. The state of NJ does have resident councils for its VA homes.

This is a policy created by the NJ department of military and veterans affairs. Their stated policy is

The Residents’ Council is established to ensure that veteran home residents have the opportunity to participate in the planning and administration of their lives, and to establish and/or implement a system whereby grievances and/or recommendations, including those related to resident rights and resident activities, can be identified within the New Jersey Veterans Memorial Homes.

You can see the fact sheet regarding this here
http://www.state.nj.us/military/vmh-policies/04-02-008.html
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does this reg say who will elect the officers of the council. Other states regs say that council itself will elect their officers. At this facility it is the residents at large will do this

I believe the council shall elect thew

ir own officers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe the council shall elect their own officers.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Here is what it says specifically

The Division of Veterans Healthcare Services (DVHS) shall ensure that residents in the New Jersey Veterans Memorial Homes (VMH) are afforded the opportunity to organize and participate in a Residents’ Council that presents resident’s concerns to the administrator of the New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home.

So it is the residents themselves who can organize.

It further states

2. The New Jersey Veterans Memorial Homes will be responsible for establishing a Residents’ Council, and organizing an annual election of Residents’ Council Officers, to facilitate Residents’ Council representation in a forum that assures residents the right to participate in the planning and administration of their lives.

a. Residents’ Council:

(2) There will be an election of Residents’ Council Officers. Said Officers will represent the entire membership and will constitute an advisory rather than a policy making body. Election of Officers will be held annually.

(3) All residents will have the right to present any grievances, without fear or threat of discharge or reprisal in any form or manner whatsoever.

So the residents vote on who will be the representatives. THe residents at large.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't say who will elect the council officers ie: the coucil itself or the residents. I believe it is the council itself shall elect the officers among the council representatives.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Actually it states

residents in the New Jersey Veterans Memorial Homes (VMH) are afforded the opportunity to organize and participate in

So the residents get the vote...this is right from the policy letter

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not a lawyer but I read it differently

Thanks for your answer

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome sir.

I understand your point...and I agree, they could have been more deliberate in how they worded this policy. But the way they did? I believe makes it clear the residents get to elect the council