LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

Hello I am Pv.2 Fields, Michael D., and I am seeking help on

Customer Question

Hello I am Pv.2 Fields, Michael D., and I am seeking help on getting married while I take my hometown recruiting privilege. Where do I start with it being two months away and being in a different state from my future spouse? I get to see my future spouse while on hometown recruiting, but we will only see each other for a weekend.
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Private Fields,
I would be happy to help out if possible.
I'm not quite sure about your situation.
Could you please clarify just a bit? What I'm getting at here is, are you saying you'll be in Texas over a weekend and are wondering if it's possible to get married in that time frame?
If you could just briefly provide a few details that would be great.
Thanks!
Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the idea yes. To start the marriage process what would be my first step?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Private Fields,
My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney (State Bar of Texas). Glad to try and help out.
Thank you for your military service on behalf of our nation!
Congratulations on your plans. I wish you and your fiancée every happiness!
Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news with you, as follows. Texas law imposes a 72-hour waiting period from obtaining the license to getting married. However, (and here's the nice part), that requirement is waived by statute for a military member! Just show your identification when requested to do so.
If you're planning on Fort Worth, here's a step-by-step guide to everything you need:
Tarrant County Clerk Marriage License

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.
I truly hope all works out for both of you.
Take care,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your stupendous service it is really helpful. Is there one for Ellis county instead, it seems as if the destination has changed. Also, we don't plan to do a wedding "show." However, more along the lines of a witness being present, and getting married by a local pastor. Since how our religious preference is non-denominational.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you elaborate how that process is done? Do we just walk in with our documents and present them replying our intention to marry?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Private Fields,
Thanks for writing back..great to hear from you!
You are most welcome..my pleasure entirely!
Thank you for the kindness of your favorable rating! It makes my day to know that my answers have been helpful to you and your wife. I do thank you so much for taking the time to express your appreciation with such kind words.
I'll gladly answer your additional questions, sure thing.
Yes, you can certainly do this in Ellis County. You would be looking at apply in Waxahachie, obviously a much smaller venue, which actually would be my personal preference if I had a choice. The really big counties (Tarrant, Harris, etc.) can be pretty overwhelming and impersonal. Here, however, I think y'all will very likely be surprised at how nice and accommodating the folks are, especially to a soldier and his bride.
Since this is such a smaller county, I'm going to have to refer you to the local office to get the specifics such as fees and their particular procedures:
Cindy Polley Ellis County Clerk
Everything about the substantive law still applies, with of course the waiting period being the biggest consideration. It's an outside chance, but just to cover all bases in case you speak with someone who isn't aware of the law, you might even want to print out this and have it handy for reference:
Texas Family Code § 2.204
And yes, as far as the governmental side of things go, both of you just show up, prepared to show your identification and pay the fee, answer a few simple questions, and take a simple oath. That's it, very simple, takes a few minutes.
Now, as to the officiant, it's up to you who will perform the ceremony. If you want clergy, you can arrange for your choice and have them meet you (and your witnesses, friends, family, up to you) at the Courthouse. Or, you can be married by a civil officiant, which usually means Justice of the Peace. The best thing would be to decide what you want, the two of you, meaning if it's of special importance to have clergy or if a civil official will suffice. Once you decide on that, just contact the clerk's office, which you could do on Monday during business hours, and they should be able to take it from there.
Hope that helps some more...have a great weekend!
Best regards,
Ben, J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The best information I received all day. I thank you for helping me move forward. :)
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Private Fields,
Completely me pleasure to be of service.
I appreciate your generous bonus more than I can tell you.
Enjoy your weekend, and most of all best wishes to you and your betrothed!
Best regards,
Ben, J.D.