LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

I am a civilian employee with the government working for the

I am a civilian employee with the government working for the Navy. I have a Lt Commander that is being very abusive and bullying me.
I have been in the same job as a construction engineering tech for several years at this same base. The LtCommander was sent here 6 months ago. He has threatened to fire me nearly everytime I come in contact with him. He has reprimanded and cursed me in front of others in our office and humiliated me many times. I am a very reasonable man and have always put my job first and I have been rewarded in the past for superior performance. I am not a fighter and get more done by being kind to people and firm. I am educated with honors and am not stupid. (which I have been called). I am in excellent health. I will be 63 years old this year and could take early retirement and some days I have considered it to be away from this harrassment. I love my job and rarely take time off and do not want to retire at this time.
After much abuse and embarrassment I decided to bring this situation to the Union on the base where I am working and they suggested after giving them several pages of dates and instances, that I file a hostile vironment complaint suit. Also a EEO complaint because of harrassement because of age and forcing me to retire.
The Navy has set up a mediation date to meet with a mediator, the Commander and myself. Do I need an attorney or some counsel? I am certainly not looking forward to meeting with the Commander. He has stopped talking with me and avoids me
What is your advice?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kay,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for your circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Here's how this works, having read and carefully considered everything you're shared. Retaliation is a serious matter and such conduct is prohibited by the Notification and Federal Employee Antidiscrimination and Retaliation Act of 2002, to mention one of the main provisions. Likewise, both hostile workplace rising to the legal definition as well as age-based discrimination over age 40 are both forms of unlawful discrimination.

Here's the botXXXXX XXXXXne. There is a mechanism in place, and you can (and certainly should) proceed with your discrimination (equal employment opportunity) charge. This is an exclusive remedy, meaning you must follow this process first, rather than going directly to a lawsuit. You have more than enough solid reason to proceed here, in my estimation.

And, as far as your mention of legal counsel, I commend you for being astute in this regard. You cannot be forced to proceed without legal representation. You have a clear right to have counsel of your choosing. This is not a paid "right to counsel" as with some proceedings (i.e. indigent criminal defendants), but if you pay for an attorney you absolutely have such a right. And, if you have any concerns about the investigation process, you should not hesitate to contact the Office of Special Counsel as well. I would absolutely encourage you to have an attorney for the mediation session if at all possible.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you and that things look much brighter down the road.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kay,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.