P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Is it possible for my husbands birth certificate to be wrong?

Is it possible for my husbands birth certificate to be wrong? It says he was born in 1959 but I have always know him to be born in 1965. His Drivers license says 1965. I have been with him for almost 25 years is this possible?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am still waiting.

Thank you.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

From which state is the birth certificate issued?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Virginia. Also his dad was in the Military and my husband is a Jr. We were thinking if it was possible that maybe his dad had changed it to get credit in his name and ss # XXXXX he was little but this is just an assumption
The Virginia office of vital records can get you a copy of the certificate. You can start the process to contact them here

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/vital_records/

His birth certificate will state the time/date of his birth.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already have a copy of the certificate. How do we know if it is correct? Is it possible to prove a birth other than thru the birth certificate. Is it possible for a parent to get these changed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The only way a parent can change a birth certificate is if there is evidence of a clear mistake.

And that would not be easy to do.

They would have to prove the mistake through hospital records.

So it is possible to correct a record, but only with clear evidence of mistake in the record.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.