How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 33911
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a Honorable with a discharge code of RE-4, because

This answer was rated:

I received a Honorable with a discharge code of RE-4, because my wife at the time cheated on me and I did not handle it well and made the dumb decision to take the advise of the Chaplain, and told them I would hurt myself (which I would never do). Am I able to get this lowered to a RE-3?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

I am sorry to have to bear bad news, but the only way to change the RE Code is if you can change the "reason for separation"

And the only way to do that is if you can prove that the military got it wrong.

If you told the military that you wanted to hurt yourself, even if that was a lie, the military would be allowed to separate you for that reason. So it is not possible now to change that.

Sorry to have to bear bad news

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So are you saying there is nothing I can do, or do I need to change the reason for separation?
I am saying that since you told the military you wanted to hurt yourself, if they relied on that to give you the discharge, the board of corrections will not change your discharge.

Basically I am telling you that you can not change this, based on the information you have provided.

Again, sorry to have to bear bad news

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My code refers to something along the lines of Personality Disorder, which I definately do not have. If I get documentation from a doctor saying I'm fine am I able to argue the fact that I was recommended from someone on base to go that route? There must be something I can fight as they must understand that if you find out your wife is cheating on you, obviously your going to react to it and not think clearly at the time.
You can sure fight it. You can ask them to change it.

What I am telling you is that the Board of Corrections for Military Records will only correct an error. What you describe is not technically an error. If you told the military you had suicide thoughts, they can discharge for a personality disorder. A person with suicidal thoughts can be classified as having a personality disorder.

So when you lied to them and told them you wanted to kill yourself, and the military relied on that and gave you that separation code, it was not an error. Now...if you told them your back hurt and they kicked you out for a personality disorder? That would be an error and somewhat easy to correct.

You can apply...and you can tell them what happened...and I have been surprised in the past by the decisions of the perhaps they will grant your request.

But to answer the question is it likely they will do so? No. Not at all

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So my advise to ask of would be, how do I apply to do this?

You do so with form DD Form 149. You can see the link here:

You fill out the form and submit it to the board.

What you is basically your statement to the board about what happened.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If this is approved, what is this going to allow me to do? Is this going to allow me to submit a request to change my RE code or what happens here? This should be my last question.
If it is approved they would change the reason for separation and that MAY change the RE Code (it would depend on what the new reason for separation is)

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Military Law Questions