P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

i recently found out that i am barred from a military installation

i recently found out that i am barred from a military installation that i work on, the bar continues thru dec 1st of this year, i was told i need to write a letter explaining why i shouldn't b barred but i was looking for some help as to what else could be put in the letter to help w my case? also how long typically does this process take?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

The commanding officer has sole discretion over who enters the base.

So you must convince the commanding officer to let you back on

The best way to do that is to show two things

1. That whatever misconduct you were involved in that led to this ban will not happen again. Statements from others who know you well, particularly if they are stationed on that base, who can vouch for your character can go a long way to help with this

2. Of your need. Demonstrate that his is your job...you have no other.

If you can show that you will no longer commit misconduct and have others who can vouch for you that may help convince the commander to allow you access again

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a few more questions, is there anything my company can do to help? and are there any kind of waivers that could b put in place in the event the base commander doesn't remove the bar? i understand that these are dealt with case by case but in your experience what r the chances the commander lifts the bar? i mean this is a 4 and a half year old bar.
THe commander has full authority to bar...so you have to convince them. If the commander refuses to admit you there is no waiver process you can use (other than to file a suit in federal court that they are abusing their discretion but if there is any evidence of misconduct on your part this is a tough suit to win)

Your company can help. You want them to...to vouch for your character. That should be included in your request to the commander for access to the base.

If you want this pulled? I would hire a lawyer familiar with military law to help you assemble the package to present to the commander to show why they should lift the ban. The cases where a strong package has been presented are the ones I have seen get approved.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.