P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

Can I get access to my late husbands military service rec

Can I get access to my late husband's military service record?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You can. If you are the next of kin. That is if you are the surviving spouse and have not remarried.

You can request this from the National Archives directly. You start that process here

You will need to provide a death certificate and a copy of your marriage certificate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much for the very helpful information I have received from you.. I will take this further, as you suggest above, but a response to my question below will help me so much and I can decide whether or not I should continue as you suggest. Thank you so much.

I have one more question that I must ask. My husband and I were married in 1950 and divorced 27 years later in 1977. He remarried in Sept. 1979 and died on July 4,1980. His short-lived wife and I both received equal government (Social Security?).support. She died a few years after him. I have never re-married and have worked full time for 31 years, and finaly retired a few mnths ago at 83.. My income has decreased considerably with the retirement. Mine and Dr. Hoban's daughter was diagnosed many years ago as disabled and she has lived with me. I am her support along with my own. I thought she might be entitled to financial support from her late father. As long as I was able to work we were getting along. Her medical expenses are, of course, costly. Now it is going to be very difficulty.

Finally I do need to know if this inquiry is going to cost more money. I have already paid the $30 and I understand this allows for a few questions. Finally, please respond to me uusing my email. I would have a hard time finding my way to a specific site. .I expect that you have my email but, if not, it [email protected]

Again, I am very grateful for your advise.

Sincerely yours,

Maryann Hoban