Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

On my DD-214, under reason and authority, it has "AFM 39-10,

On my DD-214, under reason and authority, it has "AFM 39-10, Para 3-8q, SDN: 715 & USAFMPC Msg B/154/69" . what does that mean?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

That is a nomenclature that refers to a regulation no longer in use. The best information that I can find on the subject states that the AFM 39-10 was the enlisted separation regulation for the Air Force and Paragraph 3-q refers to a separation based on the convenience of the government.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In 1970, I was discharged 3 months early, 9 months after a severe ankle injury. In block 28 of my DD-214 I was given a VA Claim number. I was wondering if "AFM 39-10, Para 3-8q, SDN 715" referred to an early honorable discharge because of a medical injury. "SDN" (Service Designation Number) of 715 means what?
That is a SDN associated with an early release program has approved by headquarters, which is equally ambiguous as the AFM 39-10 Para 3-8q section, which simply refers to separations based on the convenience of the government.

From that code, I can only discern that you were separated for the convenience of the government through a special early release program, as approved by headquarters.

It does not suggest a specific discharge status. That would be found elsewhere on the DD Form 214.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If this was not a medical reason discharge, why is there a VA claim number on my DD-214 (block 28)?
Your discharge may very well have been based on your medical issue.

Block 28 is the narrative section of your DD Form 214. It is where the underlying facts typically are put.

So, that may have been the motivation for releasing you early. That being said, all I can do is give the information from the AFM 39-10, Para 3-8q, which states Convenience of the Government and from AFM 300-4, which discusses the SDN 715, referring to a discharge based on an early release program.

Not all discharges that are based on the fact of a medical issue are, in fact, a full medical discharge. Here, based on the fact of your medical issue, the commander decided to use an early release program approved by headquarters and for the convenience of the government released you.

That is what the codes say, which is what your question was.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would that be the reason I was provided with a VA claim on my DD-214?
To use as a means of obtaining potential medical benefits from the VA, should that be warranted following your separation.

To assist in establishing the service connection for your injury.