P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

Can you still join the Navy with 2 DUIS? The last DUI was

Customer Question

Can you still join the Navy with 2 DUI'S?
The last DUI was in 2006.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You would need a waiver. And they are tough to get.

The largest problem you son faces is the poor economy. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. Its tough today to get a waiver.

If the war gets worse or the economy better? Perhaps. But today that is not likely

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about if I get them Expounged off of my record, would I be able to join then?

Or does the Military have acess to your charges even if they have been expounged?

The military will have access to the arrest.

But if you can have the records sealed, that would be a good thing. That would make the waiver application stronger. SO if you can do so it would increase the chance you would be accepted.