Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Can I join the Army if I am Illegal?

Can I join the Army if I am Illegal?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

No, an illegal immigrant can't join. Those that are not citizens can join, but they must be going through the proper, legal method of immigration.

The federal government can't petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant to obtain legal status. They are only able to assist those already going through the legal process, something they do often for immigrants going through the legal process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've been wanting to join the army for a long time now and that is the only reason why I haven't join, so if I start the process to obtain legal status would I be able to join, or would I need anything else?

There are many requirements to joining the military, such as a diploma, passing the entry exam, passing the physical and background checks, etc.

All that said, if you are able to establish that you are in the process of seeking legal residency, you can join. They don't have to let you join, but your immigration status would not then be an issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what about if I win the diversity visa lottery? becacause what I know to right now is that if I win the lottery I would have to go back to my country and once I leave I would be ban from entering the us for 10 years

That's really an immigration question more than a military law question.

However, to join our military you have to be documented and in our country legally. While I may not necessarily agree with this position, that is how they treat immigration situations.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer and current JAG officer.