Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Can an ROTC Cadet take ADHD medication and still get contracted

Can an ROTC Cadet take ADHD medication and still get contracted to become an Army Officer?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

There is a new process. It is no longer automatically disqualifying. But you have to have been off of the medication for at least one full year prior to receiving permission to join any branch. This can be documented through lack of prescription medication for more than that period of time.

Then, the medical personnel can decide (based on your examination) whether or not you require a waiver, sometimes not requiring them.

You can not join if you need that medication still, period.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am already an Army National Guard enlisted soldier so I have already been through the MEPS physical examination and swore in. However, that was 5 years ago so it is out of date. I am still enlisted but I am also pursuing the ROTC route to get my commission as an officer. I am in my Junior year of school and it is time to sign my "commission contract". In order to do this, I must update my physical examination. If I have been prescribed ADHD medication AFTER I have already enlisted, will that prevent me from being able to "contract" and ultimately deny me of my commission?
Any time you attempt a move or shift in the military, they can deny you. They get a chance to reevaluate. While you may not be in a situation where you are unfit presently for duty in your current job, that doesn't mean they have to let you move forward.

Now, you're right in that they will apply a less stringent rule because you are already enlisted, but again you will be at the mercy of a board that will have that as a factor to consider. It's not disqualifying, but it could ultimately result in your denial....they can name any basis they wish.