P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

What does arrears of pay beneficiary information also allotment

Customer Question

What does arrears of pay beneficiary information also allotment and bonds on USAF Retiree account information mean?

My father recentedly died and his beneficiary, his second wife with whom no children were born or legally adopted has been deceased for 9 years. Should not those benefits be left to his only surviving children if there are any benefits- He paid $15.48 month for Allotments/bondes since June of 1963 until his demise the 8th of May 2011.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Arrears in pay are designated by the retired service member. They designate this with DFAS (military pay).

This is a contract and DFAS will honor the wishes of the deceased veteran.

Sorry to have to bear bad news.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My father retired in June of 1963, It was my understanding that he had 60 days back pay withhelf. Also, I still do not know what if anything his beneficary would have received as I stated earlier, his las beneficiary has been deceased and he kept trying to appoint me as he beneificiary. What if anything, am I entitled too?
If his last beneficiary died prior to him, then the benefits would go to that person's estate.

As for entitlements for that person it would be any pay earned but not distributed. So, for example, if he died in the middle of the month and they did not pay his pension of that month, the beneficiary would rate that unpaid money.

There is not any "60 days" back pay for retirement. That is an urban legend.