Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

How do I go about changing my DD214 discharge code. I was

How do I go about changing my DD214 discharge code. I was forced out because of migraines and after civilian doctors fixed what was going on I want to go back in. So I need that code changed.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Did you have a RE 4 code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Separation Code: JFM and Reentry Code 2Q, I was told by an Army Recruiter that I couldn't go in unless that code is changed but he didn't get into how to change it.
Hello again,

Thank you for that information. Actually, the recruiter is responsible for applying for a waiver. It is not usual procedure for the Review Board to change an RE code unless they are also upgrading a discharge. I am not sure why the recruiter gave you that information, but you might consider speaking to a different recruiter about why you can't just get a waiver.

The only way to have a change to your DD-214 is to submit a DD 293 to the Discharge Review Board for the Service you separated from. You can get the form, which has the addresses for each Service on the form itself, by going to:www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0293.pdf
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So your saying that there is a waiver that would allow me to go back in without changing the actual DD214
Yes, each service Secretary has the authority to waive entrance requirements in individual cases. That includes waivers based on RE codes.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
I just wanted to touch base with you again. If the recruiter tells you that they can't process a waiver for you, which might typically occur if it has been less than two years since your discharge, your best bet is to skip the DD 293 step and instead file a DD form 149. That is actually for the correction of your service record and that is really best suited to change your RE code based on updated and favorable medical information. The form and the address to send it to are at: www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf