P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Can a record army physical fitness test (APFT) be given while

Customer Question

Can a "record" army physical fitness test (APFT) be given while deployed or does it count as only a diagnostic?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Yes, the Army routinely runs APFT's deployed...there is nothing in the regulations that prohibits this. Its at the discretion of the commander. When you look at the current optempo, this makes complete sense, since often there is not time to run everyone prior to deployment.

And yes, it would be "for record"
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks for the info. I'm an Infantry squad leader for my brigade commander's psd, i had one of my nco team leaders come to me and tell me he doesnt think he will pass the upcoming pt test in a few days. we arent outside the wire on a daily basis more like three or four times a week. our optempo and work schedule on the fob consists of 12-14 hour days catering to the command staff at their beck and call doing ridiculous b*ll sh*t tasks. not to mention the whole platoon is on call 24/7. I havent stressed pt for my guys because of all the stress and bull they put up with. i barely have time to do pt myself. if he fails this apft do you think the commander would take that into consideration to maybe count it as a diagnostic and let him retest in a couple weeks? and if so is there a policy letter, memo, or regulation for this?
There is no AR on point...this is up to the commander. But you raise a very good point. Were I you? I would raise this up the chain of command, to the Platoon Leader and Commander. Let them know your concerns.

Its highly unlikely they will change the results to a diagnostic AFTER its run...but if you give them a heads up early, they may be willing to call it a diagnostic up front.

Again, you raise a valid concern...since the scores are used for promotions as well as other important functions.