Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

How can i find out what type of military discharge i have

How can i find out what type of military discharge i have?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

You need to make a military records request with Standard Form 180.

Go here: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

You specifically need your DD Form 214, which will have your characterization of service on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I change a General Discharge with honors to Honorable Discharge?

Legally you can by filing a DD Form 293.

It's rare though. Not unheard of, but not automatic either.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was told back then, that after a few years that I should try to get it reversed. That I made a mistake and other than that had a stellar career in the military. I served in the Air Force for 8 years and got out with an Honorable Discharge. Then later went back into the Navy and made an went a little crazy with writing checks and got booted out thats where my General Discharge with honorable condition came from. I now would like to see if I could get this reversed,also will this keep me from getting veterans services like loans and mortgages and health benefits and stuff? Can I fill out the form 293 myself or do i need someone like yourself? Thanks for helping

There isn't any reversal process. That's a legal concept, such a reversing an incorrect decision by a jury.

The military only has an upgrade process, by which you request an upgrade based on positive life changes.

You can do the DD Form 293 on your own. I get mixed reviews from people that use an attorney. It's not a difficult process to do, it is just difficult to have granted because they do not grant them often. They don't have to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I ask you one more question....is my honorable discharge from the AF no good because i have a general discharge from Navy?
No, your honorable discharge can be used for many things. It won't change the fact that there is also a general discharge out there, but people with an honorable discharge can use their GI Bill, provided that it is used within the time frame required...based on the date of the Honorable Discharge...not the general.