Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

Can i reenlist with a chapter 5-17 discharge the discharge

Can i reenlist with a chapter 5-17 discharge the discharge is honorable and what will my re code be because i was told by a major who is medical that a 5-17 doesn't ban or flag you from trying to reenlist how true is all of this? Also is there a certain wait period if I can reenlist?
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

Nothing about a specific chapter number necessarily keeps you from reenlisting.

Rather, it is the reenlistment code found on your DD Form 214 that does that. Generally speaking, the chapter that you received would merit an RE-3, meaning a waiverable code.

So, you could technically reenlist if you found a recruiter willing to grant you a waiver. A waiver is not a right, so you can't force it. You can simply request it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So it there a certain amout of time before I can reenlist again?
No, there is no specific waiting period unless you have to actually upgrade your discharge or RE code. Then you usually need to wait about 6 months to allow for your records to be processed and sent to the archives first.

Then you can file a DD Form 293 to upgrade the discharge or a DD Form 149 to change the RE code, if necessary.