P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I want to get out of the army ASAP but dont know what my options

Customer Question

I want to get out of the army ASAP but dont know what my options are.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

So you ask the age old do I get out early?

Answer...there is not an easy way. With our all volunteer service, the military spent a good deal of money to find and train you...the last thing they want is to let you out before they get a return on their investment.

That said, if you want out prior to the end of your contract, it will need to come from an administrative separation

There are 2 types of Administrative Separations...Voluntary and Involuntary. You want, if at all possible, voluntary. If you can fit your circumstances into a voluntary separation you will typically rate an honorable separation.

Some examples of reasons for voluntary separation include:
Conscientious objector
Early release to further education

While not voluntary, a "convenience of the government" discharge may also get you where you want to go. As the title says, its for the government's convenience, not yours..but if you can convince the command to support you this is also a way out.

If you can not find a voluntary separation reason that fits your circumstances, I would urge you to finish your term, since if you attempt an involuntary separation, this will typically result in a less than favorable characterization of your discharge, a loss in veterans benefits and difficulty going forward in a job search. Still, if you can not find a voluntary separation that fits, you can look closely at the different involuntary methods, as one or more may apply

Either way it is very important that someone in your command is "on your side" If there is a Staff NCO or better who can speak to the command on your behalf this will help quite a bit. In the end it is the Commanding Officer who will likely make the decision whether or not to discharge you and if so, how. You want someone in the command who can advocate your case.

Best of luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What are some of the involuntary seperation reasons? Will my mental health have a effect on whether or not the CO will lean towards a discharge?
Involuntary reasons are often misconduct or performance related, If you get in trouble, they can and will toss you out...but not with a discharge that will help you later in life.

The other significant reason is medical, if you have a medical disability that limits your ability to serve.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i recently injured my knee and its almost impossible to run. How long would it take before they considered a medical generally?
If it prevents your abilty to perform your duties, that is the question. If it prevents you from performing your duties, the military can have you screened for a medical evaluation board.

You can request this from your commander.

If they find your not fit for duty based on the injury, they may separate you from the military based on this.