Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

My son was separated from the Navy with an RE-3E JFC code.

My son was separated from the Navy with an RE-3E JFC code. I'm confused because the listed definitions for these codes are "Failure to meet education requirements" and "erroneous enlistment". He had an asthma attack so he was sent to medical. He had asthma as a child prior to age 13 and has not had any problems in the last 8 years. He intensely trained while in DEP and there were no problems. His recruiter knew about the childhood asthma and told him to make sure he did not hide this. It was listed on all his recruiting paperwork and the first time he went to MEPS they put him on hold until they got his medical records and a letter from his doctor stating that asthma has not been a problem. Second time at MEPS, he was cleared for enlistment, and with a high ASVAB enlisted as a CTT. Do you know why they would use those codes? And how difficult would it be for him to re-enlist. He was discharged as uncharacterized because he was only there for 16 days
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. I'm an attorney with a legal career spanning 13 years and I will be assisting you today.

Those codes are a bit ambiguous and aren't really what civilians see what looking up his separation. They could use the erroneous enlistment simply based on the idea that he should not have been permitted to enlist, since the asthma appears to have had a problem with it. Any attack that occurs is pretty much an automatic exit. They operated under the assumption that it was a childhood condition that went away, but later found that to not be the case.

He couldn't be permitted to finish training, so I'm assuming that's why the used the educational issue language.

With an RE-3, he can technically get a waiver to reenlist, but that's really doubtful. They have plenty of recruits right now, so they aren't offering waivers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Doesn't make sense to me. If asthma is an automatic exit, this sounds like it would be PDQ, and therefore he would be given an RE-4, and this was a medical issue that didn't allow him to finish training not educational. So my feeling is maybe they gave these codes so in the future he can re-enlist, because they felt the wheezing he had was not severe enough to warrant a PDQ
Active asthma is an automatic out. Dormant is not. Since his became active, it was an automatic out. Since it can again become dormant, they felt that an RE-4 was too strong.

I can't tell you what they were actually thinking, just the reasoning they may have been using here.

I tend to agree with you here. They gave him the chance at reenlistment later, with a waiver. At present though, waivers are rare. When the economy improves and people have more jobs, there will be fewer recruits and so more waiver opportunities.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!! This makes me feel a little better Smile. He is 18 and would like to re-enlist. The plan for now is to see a pulmonologist and to see what excercises and measures he can take (no medications) to strengthen his lungs, and to get into an intensive training program. His recruiter was fantastic and they did PT every week for the 6 months he was in DEP. He would like to see him re-enlist and said he will do what he can to help. My son thinks the best plan for now is to do the above mentioned and also enroll in community college and take some basic courses i.e; math, english, science, basic electronics, and try to re-enlist again in a year. If accepted he will have some college credits which may help
I think that's a good plan too. He should move forward with education and keep the military option open, but with better education.

Who knows, he may end up finishing his degree, get a waiver and be able to be an officer (which it much better).