P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

can I obtain a ccw permit with a less than honorable military

can I obtain a ccw permit with a less than honorable military discharge?
Just a note,, just purchased a handgun, no wait, so initial background for purchasing was clean, also just had a 10 year background check done for employment, all good. Got out of the Marines in 1989.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Yes, you can, so long as you did not get your discharge from a court martial.

You can see the AZ rules here

Let me know if you have more questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope, never a hearing, just an RE-4 reenlistment code, had financial issues, bad checks. Did lose a stripe and some pay right before my scheduled separation date, was not kicked out early. Could I be wrong and have gotten out under a General? Another note, I got out in Aug. of '89, was hired by General Dynamics as a Missile Tech in Jan of '90.
Non issue then (the RE4). If you look at the statute, you can see the law is clear...

E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

Then it lists a bunch of factors...

For example, you must be a valid AZ resident OR US Citizen (gotta love AZ), you need to be at least 21, can not be mentally ill, must me "legal" (again, gotta love AZ), need to complete the firearms safety program.

Now, this part is interesting...if you have at least a "general" discharge, your good...that will satisfy the firearms training requirement...now that I must say is odd...heck, I was enlisted in the Navy and had a class on the 45...but never shot the darn thing...again gotta love AZ.

But even if you got an OTH, you can simply attend a proper training course to qualify

Let me know if you have more questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Already took and passed course thru Shooters World, myself and a buddy took course same day, he already received CCW card, maybe just being impatient, but I never know what to expect out here in AZ. Any other thoughts on the General vs. Less then? And if this would be a "flag" for my permit?
No, its a non issue.

The great thing about this law is the wording...it says

The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

That term shall...that is important...that means they can not "flag" anything...unless they have some evidence your not mentally stable...but from your description, with you experience AFTER you left the service, I do not see that as even an issue.

Now, you have to be able to own a firearm (that is implied)...but if you do not have a felony conviction, your good there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just bought a handgun prior to taking the course, was not denied the purchase. Used the new weapon to take and pass the course.
Yep, then its a non issue. If you can own a weapon and meet the requriements of the section of the law I sent you, you rate the permit.

You can call them on it (the AZ DPS) but I bet its in route.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!!! I think I milked out my $45, Appreciate your help.