P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

On my form DD 214, I have an honorable discharge. The reason

On my form DD 214, I have an honorable discharge. The reason listed for the discharge is personality disorder. The discharge code is JFX. Can I have this removed or changed and if so how do I go about do so? Also, can I be denied a security clearance because of this? In addtion , is it possible for me to get disability through the VA for this? Moreover, what if the VA finds that I dont have a personality disorder, do I get some kind of compensation for misdiagnosis? Finally, can VA change the reason for discharge on my DD214 if they find that I dont have this condition?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You can apply to have it changed....I will post the info how to below...but the only way to get the change is if you an show its wrong...the board of corrections for military records will make the change if the document is in if you can show that you were not discharged for a personality disorder...that the DD214 is in error, then they will make the change. If not, not

The process is straightforward. You can begin the process here

There is also a very good overview of the process here

You should start with a request of your records. You can request them here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand that i can have it changed... I need to know if I can recieve compensation for this , or maybe the VA finds that I don't have a personality disorder. Can I sue the government based on the misdiagnosis? Finally, if I send documentation from VA stating that I in fact don't have a personality disorder will that be enough weight for proof?

You can apply to the VA and if they find this disorder was related to your service you may be eligible for compensation.

You can not sue the government.