P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Im active duty military, need to know if Im allow to see civilian

I'm active duty military, need to know if Im allow to see civilian doctors on my own expense, can they contact my military doctors for recommendations, can I show them copies of my military medical records can I go to their appointments during working hours.

I don't need an answer from a client-lawyer stand point, but I don't need and answer just for entretainment either.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Yes...you can see a civilian doctor and you can sign a release to allow military to release your records.

Working hours is a different story. You need to get permission from your chain of command for this or take leave.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can you explain a little more about the "you can sign a release to allow military to release your records" where do I sign the release. what form is it?

Can my civilian doctor make recommendations to my navy doctors about my health?

Your civilian doctor will have the form. There is not a standard form...really if you sign a paper releasing your records, the military hospital will honor it. Each doctor has a form they use for such transactions

Yes, civilian doctors can recommend to military doctors.