P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I will receive a general discharge under honorable conditions

I will receive a general discharge under honorable conditions -- I got caught with a "bar girl" on post in Korea, and my unit has a regulation prohibiting soldiers from engaging in business at those clubs. I know I screwed up, and that is the first and only time I have done anything like that. But I want to move one from it. What will my DD 214 describe as my "reason for discharge"?

IT was a one-time offense. I have served longer than 181 days, and I plan to work abroad for a few years to put some distance between the incident and my return to the USA. Will a background check show my military service? Do graduate schools in the US routinely deny admission to applicants with a "general" discharge? What about admission to the bar?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Depends on the nature of the discharge. If you are separated for administrative reasons, they can do so for "serious misconduct" or for "repeated minor infractions". I suspect that in your case, if there were not prior similar incidents you would be separated for serious misconduct....in such a case they DD214 would list this (misconcuct) and may also say "violation of order" (since you violated an order by going to the club.

It should not say anything about "bargirl" or "club".

This will not show up on a background check UNLESS CID was involved. If they were, it may show up as an arrest...but not as a conviction.

I would not expect it to affect the bar admission so long as you disclose it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have a few follow-up questions.

CID was involved; however, I was never arrested, just investigated. Will this still show up as an "arrest"? And will the investigation show up on background checks?

Also, I wanted to know if military service in general shows up on background checks. If I just didn't mention it, would a background check showed that I did, in fact, serve in the military and what type of discharge I got? Thanks!
It may be since for CID, if they opened a case against you it may show up as "arrest".

Your discharge will not show up on a background check...but typically employers will require you sign a waiver so they can request your military records...then it will show up if they request your record

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What I meant was - will the fact that I served in the military period show up on a background check in, say, 10 years?

Also, how would I found out if the CID case shows up at all or as an "arrest"?
No, your service in the military would not show up on a police background check...but may in a credit history....even after 10 years its possible the address could show up...so if you had a military address that may flag it.

As to check your NCIC report...that is more difficult...any law enforcement office can do this...so I would stop by the local police dept to see if they will assist.