Anne_C
Anne_C, Lawyer
Experience:  15 Years' Litigation Experience; former NCO, US Army
7775950

I am wondering if there is money owed to me that I never collected

I am wondering if there is money owed to me that I never collected as a child. My father died in the military when I was only a year old. I was his only child and i have never recieved anything from it. I have been told by several different people that I qualify to recieve money. Is this true and if so how would I go about getting paid it?

DearCustomer

What year did your father die?

How many years had he served?

Was he on active duty or reserves?

Did he dies of a service related injury?

Did you mother receive benefits?

If so, what were they?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He died in 1988.

He had served at least 4 years.

He died while transporting items for the army.

He was active duty stationed in Germany.

My mother did not but it is on record that his father recieved benefits until he died.

I am not sure what they were. My mother and him were not married.

DearCustomer

If your father was killed while on active duty and you were only a year old when that happened, you should have received substantial benefits, including Social Security survivor's benefits until you were 19. You were probably eligible for medical insurance, and college assistance as well.

Even though you are 22 now, you should go ahead and apply for the benefits; you may be able to recover benefits that you should have received, and didn't.

Here is a link to a website about the survivor's benefits, with instructions on how to apply for them: http://www.vba.va.gov/survivors/agencies.htm.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was wondering if you were located in Wisconsin and if so would you be interested in being a legal represent?

Edited by Lori-Moderator on 1/3/2010 at 10:13 PM EST

DearCustomer

Thank you very much for asking, but under JustAnswer's terms of service, I can't represent our clients.

I would give this a try without an attorney initially; you may be able to get your benefits without having to pay an attorney.

If you do have to find an attorney, use www.findlaw.com. Try either military lawyers or social security lawyers.

Good luck!

Dear Customer:

Good luck!