P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

can a person who has temporary work permit join the US arm

Customer Question

can a person who has temporary work permit join the US army? I am Married to an American woman for about 31/2 years. I am in a order of supervision. My I-130 was filed a 2 years ago and is pending. I am currently going to fairfax,VA to have the removal order of deportation teminated so I could adjust here in the US. Can I Join the US Army? I speak fluent english and fluent with tagalog. Can I join the US Army with a pending I-130 and a temporary work permit?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

To join the military you must be a citizen or a legal resident. A work permit will not be enough...but if you get resident status, then you can apply.