How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34056
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was stationed at Clark AB, in the Phillippines from Oct 1969

Resolved Question:

I was stationed at Clark AB, in the Phillippines from Oct 1969 through Jan1971. I was assined to the 463rd FMS. I spent 6 months TDY to Cam Rahn AB, RVN. Those TDY's are not part of my Military Record. Would copies of those TDY orders be archived somewhere?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
How about a statement from your Commanding officer at the time...or any of your supervisory chain command?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, my memory does not work well enough to recall my CO. The statement that was prepared by my Squadron Administrative Officer (Capt. Donald B. Dana) was already submitted to the VA and deemed not credible (Can you believe that?). The VA is insisiting that I furnish some sort of Military Record that varifies my presence in Viet Nam. A copy of my TDY orders would suffice. The only copies of those orders I had were sent to the Pennsylvania Department of Military Affairs in 1971 in order to recei ve my State Bonus......that was paid to me then. (They were not retained. Only a copy of the application and the payment varification.) (I submitted a copy of that application and pay voucher to the VA. (Again, NOT credible).


I feel certain that copies of those orders are archived somewhere. I need to find them.

Perhaps you may know a Government Records Research Specialist that could locate the archived records. I can supply you with any addiitional info you desire.


PS: My brother retired from the Marine Corp.....and died before he could win his battle with the VA. (He served three tours in Viet Nam) His memory is what is driving me to win this dispute. I will sincerely XXXXX XXXXX help.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.

Did the Squadron Admin Officer vouch from personal knowledge of your TAD to Vietnam?

I assume you have requested records from here, is that correct?

Were you TAD with your entire unit? The 463rd? Or did you go alone or with a small party?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Capt. Dana supplied the necessary varification documentation that was requested by the Pa Dept. of Military Affairs in order for me to receive the entitled bonus.


Yes. I requested and received some of my records. They did not furnish my Medical Records.....they said they were not available. I enlisted in the Army Reserve and the Pa. National Guard after my discharge from the Air Force. I was told that the Nat'l Guard probably has my Medical Records archived. I have to persue that avenue.


The 463rd maintained a Detachment at Cam Rahn Bay. Everybody in the Squadron took part in manning the detachment during their assignment at Clark AB. Each specialized shop supplied men on regular intervals. (It was normally 60 days at a time) I only got to go "in country" for three trips....a total of 6 months.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Have you requested to the 463rd for a copy of the unit diary of the records from that timeframe?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The problem is that Clark Air Base no longer exhists. I have no idea as to where the 463rd has relocated or if it was disbanded. The Unit Diary could possibly have the documentation that I need. I can supply the exact dates of my deployments during that timeframe. Do you have any idea as to where I could inquire about the Unit Diary, or who could enquire on my behalf?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for delay. Yes, perhaps. This was an Air Force Unit, Correct? Do you know the name of your higher command at the time?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it was an Air Force Unit. I cannot remember the Higher Command. I do know that it was a Tactical Support Squadron in what would have been PACAF (Pacific Air Force) PACAF would still exist due to current active Air Force Bases in Japan and Okinawa
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.

OK, This is certainly doable. It may take some persistence, but so long as the records exist...and I suspect they do, at least the "Unit Diary" (that is a Marine Term, but I am certain there is an Air Force equivalent and it may have the same name.

Here is what I would do.

I would draft a request under the Freedom Of Information Act

more info here

Make the request for the "command chronology", the "unit diary" and any other documents that would show the TAD status of members of the 463rd for the year(s) that apply to you. If you can determine the command between PACAF and the 463rd...I suspect it is one of the wings...I would make the request their as well. But start with the request to PACAF.

Make sure you request a waiver of fees. Tell them what your may help as well.

If the documents exist, you can get them in this manner.

Your medical records may also have some helpful information...I would also request them as well.

Finally, if you have not yet appealed the VA decision, you may consider this as well (though I would do the FIOA request may be on appeal you can use Capt Dana's statement to show that, in fact, you were in country

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will do as you have advised. When this dispute is settled I'm going to make a large donation to the Marine Corp Toys for Tots in your's and my brother's name. I'll keep you posted. Many, many thanks. XXXXX

Related Military Law Questions