P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I have no family care plan and am a single parent in the Army.

I have no family care plan and am a single parent in the Army. My NCO is trying to force me to leave my child with people I dont know or trust. He has also told me I couldnt take her to the hospital when she had strep throat. I was wondering what the policy on family care plans is. And what I should tell my commander about all of this
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
THanks for the chance to assist

Army policy dictates that all active and reserve component single parents and dual military couples with dependent family members (children under nineteen or adults incapable of self-care) will formulate a Family Care Plan.   

The unit commander is the approving authority of a Family Care Plan. If a soldier’s Family Care Plan is disapproved by the unit commander, the soldier has thirty days to submit additional documentation or evidence to support the Family Care Plan. Soldiers who fail to provide and maintain adequate Family Care Plans may be barred from reenlistment or voluntarily or involuntarily separated.

The policy is contained in Ch 5 of AR 600-20

Now, as to an NCO telling you that you can not care for your sick daughter...well the circumstances would be important...did this happen on a sunday afternoon when you did not have duty? Or perhaps in the middle of a training evolution? If you believe this was improper, you should immediately elevate to the attention of the commander who can resolve VERY quickly.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne; You need a family care plan. If you can not develop one, the Army can separate you administratively, and could give you a less than favorable discharge. That said, if your NCO is not taking care of his soldiers, you need to bring this up to the next level in your chain of NCO is NOT the final say...only the commander has this authority.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.