PhilCave, Lawyer
Experience:  33 years military law experience.

i got out of army active duty with an honorable discharge,

i got out of army active duty with an honorable discharge, now i am receiving an other then discharge from the national guard for not attending drill. how does the national guard discharge affect me? does it effect my active duty discharge, will i lose my active duty benefits?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  PhilCave replied 7 years ago.
You will retain any benefits gained as a result of your prior honorable discharge.
You can petition for an upgrade of your OTH to the Army Discharge Review Board. You can do that up to 15 years from the date of discharge on your letter. If I recollect, the NG did away with the NGB22 record of discharge.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer sir, but I do not know what an NGB 22 is. Will the OTH discharge effect my security clearance that I currently have, will it reflect negatively on my records say when I try and get a government job? Or because I have an honorable from active duty that it supersedes the OTH NG discharge?
Expert:  PhilCave replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you will have a security clearance problem. I'd recommend you contact us direct on this, especially if we can help you before you do a five/ten year review or submit a new eQuip or SF 86.
Don't worry about the NGB22. There will be a letter in your records showing your discharge and its reasons.
There may be employment impacts, especially in federal employment. I might add though that I have prior clients with an OTH who are now lawyers or in the NG.