P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

Can you get out of Marine bootcamp and the contract with the

Customer Question

Can you get out of Marine bootcamp? and the contract with the Marines. And if so how?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
After departing for bootcamp, the options for getting are limited. As the services are all voluntary, each service, Marines included, have a vested interest in keeping in folks after they report to bootcamp.

I recommend you look at the Marine Corps Separation Manual (a goggle search will get you a copy ) Here also is a link: www.sldn.org/binary-data/SLDN_ARTICLES/pdf_file/2338.pdf.

Chapter 6 is where you want to start. I would read this carefully and see if his situation will apply.

There are 2 types of Administrative Separations...Voluntary and Involuntary. You want, if at all possible, voluntary. If you can fit your circumstances into a voluntary separation you will typically rate an honorable separation.

Some examples of reasons for voluntary separation include:
Conscientious objector
Hardship
Pregnancy
Early release to further education

If you can not find a voluntary separation reason that fits your circumstances, I would urge you to finish your term, since if you attempt an involuntary separation, this will typically result in a less than favorable characterization of your discharge, a loss in veterans benefits and difficulty going forward in a job search.

I can also say from personal experience that bootcamp, particularly for the Marines, is quite unlike the Marine Corps. While difficult, its possible to make it through and the vast majority of recruits make it through.

Still, if you can not find a voluntary separation that fits, you can look closely at the different involuntary methods, as one or more may apply

Either way it is very important that someone in your command is "on his side" If there is a Staff Sergeant of better how can speak to the command on his behalf this will help quite a bit. In the end it is the Commanding Officer who will likely make the decision whether or not to discharge and if so, how. You want someone in the command who can advocate your case.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you