P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

What does the separation code JKK mean. And reenlistment code

What does the separation code JKK mean. And reenlistment code RE-3&3C stand for. also what does AR 635-200, paragraph 14-12c mean. thank you in advance for your help
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
JKK is drug use

RE 3/3C is the code for re-enlistment. RE 1 typically means you are eligible. 2 and 3 means you are eligible with a waiver...2 is easier than 3 to get that waiver.

RE-3 - Individuals who are not qualified for continued Army service, but the disqualification is waiverable. Ineligible for enlistment unless a waiver is granted.

RE-3C - lndividuals who have completed over 4 months service who do not meet the pay grade requirements of Chapter 2), or who have been denied enlistment under Qualitative Screening Process pursuant to Chapter 4 AR 600-200. Ineligible for enlistment unless waiver is granted. Applicable to persons who have completed over 8 months service who do not meet the prior grade and service criterion of the Qualitative Management Program (AR 600-200 Chapter 4).

c. Commission of a serious offense. Commission of a serious military or civil offense, if the specific circumstances
of the offense warrant separation and a punitive discharge is, or would be, authorized for the same or a closely related
offense under the MCM.
(1) An absentee returned to military control from a status of absent without leave or desertion may be separated for
commission of a serious offense. (See para 1–43 for civil offenses under investigation by foreign authorities.)
(2) Abuse of illegal drugs is serious misconduct.
(a) However, relevant facts may mitigate the nature of the offense. Therefore, a single drug abuse offense may be
combined with one or more minor disciplinary infractions or incidents of other misconduct and processed for
separation under a or b, above, as appropriate.
(b) All soldiers against whom charges will not be referred to a court-martial authorized to impose a punitive
discharge or against whom separation action will not be initiated under the provisions of chapter 9 or section II of this
chapter will be processed for separation under a, b, or c, above, as applicable.
1. “Processed for separation” means that separation action will be initiated and processed through the chain of
command to the separation authority for appropriate action.
2. The immediate and intermediate commanders will recommend separation or retention. Recommendations will be
made as to characterization of service. (See para 2–2 or 2–4.)
3. The separation reason in all separations authorized by this paragraph will be “misconduct-abuse of illegal drugs.”
Voluntary (self) identification/referral in accordance with AR 600–85, paragraph 3–2, does not require initiation of
separation proceedings under this section

This is language that will allow the Army to separate a soldier if they commit a crime that would warrant a BCD. For example, if a soldier used drugs, the Army could separate that soldier administratively and give that soldier an OTH

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get paid.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.