Former JAG Officer
Former JAG Officer, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience

Can 2 brothers of the same mother be deployed to a combat

Me and my brother are both deployed to baghdad. Before that though, when I was in the Army reserves a year ago, they wanted to deploy us both, but our BDE S1 said she couldn't deploy two twin brothers. Anyway, both of us didn't deploy because for some reason or another the assignement was cancelled. Now, I'm active duty, but no one asked if I had another family member in the service, it was only when someone saw my brother, then some questions started popping up, but so far no too many people in my unit know about this.
Only sons or the last to carry on the family name can be deployed. However they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family.

The present law provides a peacetime exemption for anyone whose parent or sibling was killed in action, died in the line of duty or died later as a result of disease or injury incurred during military service. The service person does not have to be the only son or daughter in order to qualify; if there are 4 son's in the family and one dies in the line of duty, the remaining three would qualify for the surviving son status under the present law.

This provision is applicable only in peacetime, not at times of war or national emergency declared by Congress. The fact that a serviceperson is an only child does not qualify him/her for consideration.

So there is no current prohibition from deploying both of you.

All the best and thanks for your service,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the info!