Bruce Wilner
Bruce Wilner,
Experience:  principal at Network Security Labortories Inc.
94527327

Just for background, the file is data file for a stock

Customer Question

Just for background, the file is data file for a stock market application. The code that I am focused on is a way of determining whether the high or low came first in each specific period.
I had developed the code in 1 file and wanted to transport it to another file. So I selected all the code and did a replace
of the "=" ,the very first character in the expression and replaced it with "#"The first problem is that result of that operation was that some of the sells have "#" then the rest of the expression, and some have (quotes excluded for clarity) '#
The second problem is that I cannot get back the original formula with the proper syntax.
I
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bob James replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help.
Please give me just a bit to look over the question and do some initial research.
Thanks,
Bob

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please take your time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Remote assistance is a nice idea, but I have to stay within my monthly membership budget

I sincerely ***** ***** never open any .zip files - if you want to include the Excel spreadsheet, that is OK. Otherwise I will respectfully ***** ***** another professional can take a look.

Note: Please disregard the offer for "Remote Assistance", it is automatic on our 2nd response.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if not a zip file, how can I send you my file?

I may be misunderstanding, it is not an Excel (or spreadsheet)?

I wonder if this question is mis-categorized, what application are you using - or program?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
here is a stripped down version of the spreadsheet to illustrate the problem

I must apologize again, this seems above my knowledge in Excel.

I will respectfully ***** ***** another professional can help.

Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 5 months ago.

Hi, without pointing to umpteen files, WHAT PRECISELY is the requirement?

I should be able to get just about anything to work in Excel--unless it simply isn't supported!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
To make this easier to visualize, I have included 2 screen prints. The first is of my data file. The last 2 columns on the right have either a "1" or a "2" in them. It is a way to determine whether the High or the Low came first in each period.
Then the cells are color coded. They show a nominal 3-day (or period for time periods less than 1-day) cycle.i.e. This is the Taylor Trading Method.
The 2nd screen print shows the formula for the cell.So, what I wanted to do was copy these formulas to a new data workbook.To do that I tried to substitute "#" of "=" in each formulaThen the idea was to move them all to a new workbook and change the "#" back to "=" and have all the formulas work.
(I have 1 file that has 26 lines of formulas,which is for a sample of every 15 minutes.
I have 1 vile that has 120 lines of formulas, which is for a same of every 3 minutes)The enclosed excel spreadsheet shows what I got when I did the replace.some of the expresses got the substation correct, but some cells have " '= ".I would like to know why this replace did not give me consist ant results and what replacements I need to make to get back to the original formulas.

You copied the formulas as string values, which will end up with a ' in front for a variety of reasons.

You can just substitute those '= for =, can't you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it won't work. see enclosed screen print
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lets review the problem.
I start out with formulas in 2 adjacent columns.
there are really 2 problems: 1. the change from formula to string does not result in uniform results.
some of the original formulas come out as "# then original expression" and some come out as " '# then original expression"2. I cannot change them back into their original formulas.I want to change them into strings to move them to a different workbook without changing there relative addresses. (I hope I said that correctly)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there someone that can help me?

Well, you reported the symptoms imprecisely, then. If '= were in the file, it would have been replaced. That ain't rocket science.

Why don't you just export the file as CSV and import it into the second file? There's no need to fuss with textual substitutions of things.