bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

I recently realized I didn't get some excel files saved

Customer Question

I recently realized I didn't get some excel files saved completely is there anyway I can get to a previous copy of the file apparently when my system froze and windows had to shut down, then when I logged back on and a list of files came up to save I possibly didn't save them correctly
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

It depends on if you have a right version of OS and if the File History (for Windows 7 or high) or TimeMachine (for OSX 10.6 or higher) was already enabled.

Check below for details.

http://www.howtogeek.com/209080/how-to-restore-previous-versions-of-a-file-on-any-operating-system/

Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

Any update please?

Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

Hello? Did my suggestion above help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You are telling me how I should have backed up my files not how to get them back this answer is worthless to me but going forward in the future how do I set my system so when it freezes or the date gets reset to 2008 etc. that when I get these which files do you want to save, what is the proper method to go ahead and save them?
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

> You are telling me how I should have backed up my files

> not how to get them back this answer is worthless to me

I was telling you the prerequisite for finding the previous versions of a file. If you didn't enable this feature, your file versions will NOT be protected. It is by design.

> how do I set my system so when it freezes or the date gets reset to 2008 etc.

What do you mean by "freeze" or "reset to 2008"? Do you mean your system date is accidentally changed to 2008? Or you mean you expect your whole system could return to its"status" in 2008 when all your files were intact at that time?

> when I get these which files do you want to save, what is the proper method to go ahead and save them?

I guess you are asking how to enable versioning feature for your operating system so you can get old version back later. Am I correct. If so, please advise your operating system and version.