NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have a new Lenovo P50 laptop and am trying to get OneNote

Customer Question

I have a new Lenovo P50 laptop and am trying to get OneNote (it's installed with Windows 10) to open my notebooks stored in Dropbox. My other computers share these notebooks with OneNote. I can't find a way to open a notebook using explorer? How can I do this?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

Hi Robert

Can you explain what you mean?

You mean If you click on the OneNote file it opens OneNote and that file directly?

Regards

Kevin

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't figure out how to open my notebooks saved in Dropbox.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

Could I connect and have a look?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

OK, but it doesn't appear that the new version of OneNote allows me to open a file on my computer or in dropbox.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No thanks for the $40; I don't believe this issue can be resolved.

Expert:  michelleclive replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Do you have onenote on a disk where you can install it back from?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

no disk

I am trying to open onenote files stored with dropbox using the onenote app in windows10. I see no way to do this.

So I tried using Onedrive to store the notebooks. Onenote should be able to access these. But now it asks me to subscribe to office 360.

One note is an MS Office component you will have to install Onenote on the computer where you want to open and use the file.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I have done that

have you installed it from the windows app or from a disk?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

on the new laptop (windows 10) I had to install a trial for office 360 to try OneNote.

I've been using an older version of OneNote on windows 7 computers, and these versions can access my notebooks stored in Dropbox.

The trial is still active or it has expired?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

activated just now

restart computer and then try.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

questions: to use the current version of OneNote must I have a subscription to Office 360? Can I use Dropbox to store my OneNote notebooks? I've been using Office 2010; is 360 worth it?

My apology for the delay, i had internet outage for sometime.

You must have Office installed to use One note whether its a trail or a paid version One note must be installed to view your onenote data files.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

You did not answer:

Can I use Dropbox to store my OneNote notebooks? I've been using Office 2010; is 360 worth it?

Also, the OneNote app on my Windows 10 computer does not list the notebooks I have moved to OneDrive, so I can't open these notebooks in OneNote. How can I fix this?

Yes you can use the dropbox to store your files. The Office 2010 dont have the Onenote component if it doesnt include the you can go for Office 360.

One note app should be good in that case and it should open all you onenote files from the dropbox.

Try OneDrive instead of dropbox

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

You are not answering my questions:

>One note app should be good in that case and it should open all you onenote files from the dropbox. This does not work!

I will open the question to other experts for there input and views.