NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have an excel file with a lookup formula that was made by

Customer Question

I have an excel file with a lookup formula that was made by John from this site a few years ago that i need the formula modified slightly, but i do not know how to revise the lookup formula.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome Nick

Can you attach the file to this question please and tell me how you would like it modified?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have a formula in column D of #1~template~.xls that returns the value from DataFile (1).xls column B, which is the weight of structural steel member from column A that should match steel member from column B of template file.
in simple terms: i enter in my template column A the quantity of steel, then in column B i enter the steel member size/profile, then in column C i enter the length of steel. in column D the weight per foot is retrieved from the datafile based on exact match of column B from template.
the problem that i am having is the formula only retrieves values from datafile from row 1 to 3000, i need the formula modified to retrieve from entire datafile. the problem wasn't an issue until my datafile grew to over 3000 rows and continues to grow.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I see no limitations in the code.

What are you getting as a value back?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
N/A
he set up the formula so that when the item wasn't located in the data file that a pop up window appears where i can enter in the new weight and it gets added to the data file. this window is working properly still and when i enter the new item in the pop up window it gets added to the data file, but the value isn't returned to template. but if i take the new added item in the data file and copy and paste the row in the data file to somewhere before row 3000 then the value is returned as it should be.
i didn't see any limitations in the code either, but the problem occurs after row 3000
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, it is a lot more complex then just a lookup and it will not run the code on my PC

I would need to remote to your computer and check everything else if I was to proceed.

I have made the offer, can you please accept this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay. i'm too busy at this time to deal with this issue. what is my deadline for this?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

We can resume anytime you wish, just let me know please.