NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

We are working with sales spreadsheets, we need to combine

Customer Question

Hi, We are working with sales spreadsheets, we need to combine them; they have one product number in common as a unique identifier in one column in each spreadsheet, however, the rows are not the same as each has some of the same products in the rows, but each spreadsheet also has rows that not in the other spreadsheet. How can we bine spreadsheets with differing rows, please
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 6 months ago.

Hi.

Please provide a CONCRETE example of what you're trying to achieve.

Do the ROWS differ or do the COLUMNS differ?

If you could provide a sample of each of the two spreadsheets (just a few relevant rows), and an example of what you're trying to generate, we should be able to take care of it VERY quickly.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** went to my clutter folder, so I only saw it now.
We are dealing with books, each book has one specific ISBN number. Every spreadsheet has a column with that ISBN number, The rows will contain different books in different spreadsheets. E.g. Spreadsheet I contains Book A on row 2, Book B on row 3 , and Book C on row 4. Column 1 contains the ISBN, the other columns contain title, author adn printer. Spreadsheet II contains Book A on row 2, Book G on row 3, and book M on row 4. It contains the ISBN in column 5, and price/sales information on the other columns. -- We need to get thenew (monthly) sales information of Spreadsheet II into Spreadsheet I. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Oh, so I'm a clutterer, am I? ;-)

This is straightforward enough. Kindly post an example. Whip up a spreadsheet with a handful of rows and add a row that has the data that you would like AUTOMATICALLY to appear, but just type it in brute-force, and provide an accompanying explanation, such as, "This data in row 18 demonstrates what I'd like it to look like; see how G18 was pulled from Q4 and how E18 was pulled from J7. I'd like the calculated data to appear in row 44, actually." Something like that.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the columns highlighted are the ones we need to update each month. They come in a spreadsheet including a column containing the ISBN. But this spreadsheet might only have ISBN 1, while the other might have 1, and 2. How can we flow in this up-to-date sales information when the rows are not the same?

You lost me there. If the data is being looked up by ISBN in some other worksheet, how do "ISBN 1" and "ISBN 2" enter into the problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Spreadsheet 1: Column a: ISBN; Column b: Title; Column c: Author
Spreadsheet 2: Column a: ISBN; Column b: Sales YTD; Column c: Inventory YTD
These spreadsheets need to be merged, but the rows are not the same, 95% of the ISBNs are in both spreadseets, but there are always a few (new titles, or titles that feel off the list) that are in one, but not in the other spreadsheet. There are roughly 500 rows, one ISBN each. So far I have sorted the rows by ISBN, put the two spreadsheets next to each other on a new excel sheet, and I'd go down the line adding a row to the spreadsheet that misses an ISBN. It takes me many hours each month to do so. I am looking for a way to program that coordination. Is this clearer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Bruce, are you still working on this?