WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Microsoft Office Specialist

I have a SQL that I use to pull data and update an Excel

Customer Question

I have a SQL that I use to pull data and update an Excel sheet.How do I link the Excel sheet/report to the query so that the sheet will update with the most recent data by simply clicking the REFRESH button as opposed to having to pull the data by running the query and pasting it into the report every day?Using MS SQL Server 2008 R2 to pull the data using the query
Using Excel 2010
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 days ago.

Hello, I'm Wes, and I'll be assisting you today.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 days ago.

To get this kind of functionality you are asking for, there are various software that act as an interface to pull data into the Excel Spreadsheet.

Such software is SharePoint Server, but costs alot of money and servers to get it working. The best method to use is to follow the steps in this link:

You could save it as a task / job to run every day for you, but might require additional programming steps. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 days ago.

YOU can also write a TSQL command like this to export from SQL to an existing Excel file:

insert into OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 'Excel 8.0;Database=D:\testing.xls;', 'SELECT * FROM [SheetName$]') select * from SQLServerTable