NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

I need a formula that I can cut and paste into excel for net

Customer Question

I need a formula that I can cut and paste into excel for net interest income and net interest margin
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?
Customer: 2016
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 22 days ago.

Hello. I would be delighted to assist you with this Excel issue.

In actuality, there are many techniques for computing income and margin. It depends upon how you want interest to accrue and what reporting basis you wish to target for tax purposes (like "cost accounting" versus "accrual accounting," that sort of thing).

How much subject matter expertise do you possess in finance in general, and accounting in specific? I ask because I would be happy to steer you into a particular solution path if you're not pre-committed to one for any particular reason(s).

Thank you for your patient cooperation.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I need to figure NII and NIM for a 12 month period on a variable rate loan - I can do this on paper, but I dont know how to get the right formula in excel. SME on finance and accounting - beginner

Can you provide all the parametric details of the loan?

Do you have something of a spreadsheet already built so that I can just integrate the solution into an existing structure (which reflects YOUR taste and style)? If I do it from scratch, it will look odd: I operate from a scientist's perspective, not an end-user's.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
5 million, 5% rate, cost to buy the loan - 2%I dont have the spreadsheet here, but if you send an excel it can just be a crude write up, nothing fancy. if possible just looking for the formula.Is that enough info?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the end goal is a 12 month profitability analysis on a 3/1 ARM @ 5%, assumed production of 5 million a month... hope that also helps.

Well, one thing you haven't told me is what the PAYMENTS are on the instrument that you bought. I can't divine that, since I don't know the terms to which the mortgagor agreed--above all, the lifetime of the loan (30 years? 15? 7?).

Also, were those two points points that the mortgagor paid (I suspect not)? Or are you paying two points to the mortgagee (I suspect so) as the price of the loan?

(FYI, I would wonder about a 5% loan that someone is willing to sell you for two points. What's wrong with the borrower? Is he, like, dying of Indonesian foot rot?)

Did you want a table that indicate expected annual income or expected monthly income? At what rate is the mortgagor paying off the instrument?

If you're getting sleepy (I know I am), we can pick this up in the morning. I am usually slamming away by 0700 Eastern time.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok, morning is fine - Thanks

Ooh, forgot to ask: you want NIM, but I only see one rate quoted (5%)--other than the "rate" of 2% (which is up-front points, not a rate).

There isn't a NIM in effect unless something is coming in and something (less!) is going out. I would need to know the actual, numeric values of those somethings!

Have a great evening! Cheers.