bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  Certified Information Systems Security Professional / Certified Information Security Manager / Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
96068672

How do you change the drop-down options in the general

Customer Question

How do you change the drop-down options in the general documents field in SharePoint 2010? I am willing to pay for help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Hi There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Could you please be specific about what drop-down options are they, better give a screenshot pleaser? What are the current or default option items?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Help!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do u do this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I mean, how do I do this? I'm working on a Sunday, frustrated, have 0 Sharepoint skills and will pay for help!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I add a drop down menu item to the general document field?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Got the screenshot. Thanks.

Do you mean how to add custom fields for document properties in Document Libraries of SharePoint?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think my request is much more basic. I am going to send you another screen shot. Do you see the drop-downs in the general document field? It reads 2013, 2014, and 2015. I just need to add 2016 so that when I upload documents I can select that option.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

It seems not that simple, because, per the screenshot, you are using a customised document library, the fields such as "Cost Centre" and "CIPP Classification" are not standard fields of SharePoint Server. Please confirm?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It may be customized. Can you tell me where to add additional drop down options?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

You need to go to Site Settings > Galleries > Site Content Types, and modify existing the content types there by adding one more option in addition to the existing year numbers.

FYI - http://www.dotnetcurry.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=620

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't see any options to make any changes
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

I think under Site Content Types you have a Content Type named "Record Category" (display name), actually name should be "RecordCategory" per SharePoint convention. Find and edit that content type.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just did a ctrl F on the page. There is no "recordcategory" or "record category" on the entire page.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Seems a bit hard for you to walk through the options there. Do you want to do a remote session so I can demonstrate or directly fix it for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Due to security issues, I'm not able to do that. :(
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

I used to have a SharePoint 2010 VM so probably you can remote access it for practice then go back to your production server to make actual changes. Let me check...

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, not available now, it was deleted when cleaning up my VM library... :(

If you do prefer this one, I have to get one from somewhere or manually install it from the scratch, then I would offer your Premium Services to cover it. Please let me know your thought.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thank you. I'm totally stumped. How do I withdrawl my question from your queue?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

I now opt out and let other experts serve you. Good luck!