bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  Certified Information Systems Security Professional / Certified Information Security Manager / Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
96068672

I'm trying to sync my iPhone calendar with my Outlook

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

okay, just to clarify the issue, and your question...

Your iPhone calendar ( the calendar that is included with iPhone iOS, the default) you want it to SYNC with your OUTLOOK Calendar.....without having to connect to your computer and use iTunes.

Is that correct it?

So heres the rub with this...

As you may know.....Apple is a HUGE company......and they are very VERY private about their software, and their hardware. They dont TEAM up very often with other companies, and when they do, they have to be in charge.

Now....Outlook is a Microsoft product, and iPhone calendar is an Apple product.

You are asking for 2 HUGE competing companies, and their products to SYNC seamlessly.

.

That does not mean that it wont work as you would like.....but.....it may be a bit complicated, and in some cases not possible unless you use a 3rd party as a go between, like a translator between the 2 for the sync process to be automated, and to actually work.

.

Please allow me a few minutes to find the best way to do this, and report back.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Take your time

OKay, so the BEST way to use a 2-way sync between your iPhone calendar/contacts/notes and your MS Outlook calendar/contacts is to use iCloud.

To use iCloud to sync your Outlook calendar with iPhone, you will need to use the iCloud Control Panel for Windows. Download it if you haven’t installed it in your computer.

Heres the link to download iCloud for Windows.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283

I forgot to ask......Your Microsoft Outlook is installed on your computer, but i need to know, is your computer a MAC? or a windows PC?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

windows PC (W7)

I have iCloud on my PC and it finally finished "setting up the email".

See my first message.

It still does not sync with iphone.

okay, the initial sync CAN take some time......but after the initial sync, anything that is added will sync almost instant. How long have you waited?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I only tried once after setting up icloud. I will try again in a few hours and get back to you.

its worth noting that you must be signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID on all your devices, for the sync to work.

That may be obvious....but I dont know what your level of technical ability or understanding is.....so i dont want to leave anything not checked.

Because iCloud calendar for the iPhone is made by Apple, and Outlook calendar is made by Microsoft.......there is no easy straight forward way for the sync to work seamlessly. Its there way of forcing you to choose.

I would suggest using a 3rd party go between.

I would suggest that you choose as well.

As much as you may like to use the iPhone calendar......you will always have an issue with a seamless hassle free calendar Sync, to ANY microsoft product. And vice cersa.

Creating a calendar event on your Outlook calendar, and having it sync to your iPhone calendar is what the iCloud windows control panel will do.

Creating a calendar event on your iPhone calendar, and having it sync to your outlook calendar is where a 3rd party would need to be used.

I would HIGHLY suggest you use a Google Calendar.

WHY? Becasue Google plays well with BOTH Apple and Microsoft. And can be the go between for syncing your calendars.

So basically, your iphone syncs with google.....and outlook syncs with google.

Keeping both up to date, and synced properly.

This is can get complex, but its your BEST option.

This is not a new issue and there will ALWAYS be a DIVIDE between Apple and Microsoft.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Still no sync.

icloud on the iphone shows a primary and alias email address.

The alias email is the icloud.com email address.

I dont' know if this matters.

icloud on the PC shows the correct apple id and is signed in.

iPhone will NOT sync to outlook WITHOUT the use of a 3rd party APP.

BUt outlook shoudl sync to iphone just using the icloud control panel for windows.

.

I suggest you use GOOGLE calendar. You can get it for the iPhone, and you can get it for windows.

Sync your iphone to google calendar, and sync outlook to google calendar.

This is the best solution!

Apple made it purposefully difficult to use iphone calendar with outlook. They are 2 competeting companies.

They want you to only use Apple products......but also recognize that google is an ally......and Apple teams up with Google to make their products work with together.

The same is adi for Microsoft and Google.

So.....Google becomes the GO BETWEEN .

This is the BEST solution.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Outlook calendar is nice because it's part of email which is always open on my computer.

My tasks in rememberthemilk.com automatically export to my Outlook calendar and my iPhone calendar. This is not quite the same as synching, but is close.

Google calendar is a possibility, but first let's get another opinion before giving up on my current approach. Can you refer this question to another expert? Thanks.

i cant refer, i can only reopen it back to the Queue.

When you initially open your question you can request an answer form 2 different experts.......and that is an additional cost.

So that you will have 2 answers (or opinions) and then BOTH experts will be compensated.

But if we open this back up to the queue.....and another expert confirms what i have told you.....you will only be able to pay that expert.....and not me.

We cant split the compensation, and we cant BOTH be compensated for the same question.

.

Thats why there is that initial option in the begining to have 2 answers from 2 experts.

I realize you may have not known you needed or wanted a second opinion until now.......but.....thats how this site was designed and works.

Im just a COmputer Expert, with many many years in the field.

I will open this back up to the Queue.

Thank you for understanding.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Has this question been reopened? I don't see it posted.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Hi There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please advise the version of your Outlook as well as 32-bit or 64bit.

FYI - only Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 are supported by iCloud. As of the iCloud 5.1 update, which was released at the end of 2015, iCloud supports Outlook 2016, 32 and 64 bit as well as Windows 10. Please check your versions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Outlook Ver 14.0.7173.5000 (32 bit) -- part of Microsoft Office 2010

OS is Windows 7 (64 bit)

iCloud is ver 5.2.1

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

As mentioned above, you need to install iCloud for Windows (either as part of iTunes or standalone) have your photos, videos, mail, calendar, files, and other important information on the go and on your Windows PC.

You also need to first close Outlook before configuring iCloud under Windows Control Panel > iCloud. Make sure Contacts, Calendar and Tasks are checked there.

If Sync is not working, try the following methods in the given order. Make sure Outlook is closed before each step.

1. Uncheck Calendar and Contact in the iCloud Control Panel, apply, then re-check it and apply again.

2. Sign off from the iCloud in the iCloud Control Panel, then sign back in.
3. Try Repairing the Outlook installation in Control panel > Programs and Features.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

>Windows Control Panel > iCloud

I don't see a reference to iCloud in the windows control panel

Instead my desktop has an icon to run iCloud.

I did steps 1 and 2. At first I was alarmed that my outlook calendar was erased, but later found a new calender (Calendar-iCloud) that contains my entries from the outlook calendar.

So I added an entry in the new iCloud calender in Outlook, and also added an entry on my iPhone calendar. But the new entries do not appear on the other device.

I did notice the outlook has a new email address for icloud that it accesses when retrieving/sending email.

I then went to Settings:iCloud on the iPhone, turned Calendars OFF and then back ON. It still does not sync.

On the PC's Programs and Features, I can select Office Home and Business 2010, but the options are only to uninstall or change.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> I then went to Settings:iCloud on the iPhone, turned Calendars OFF and then back ON. It still does not sync.

Weird. I got Windows 7 machines in my lab, but need a bit more time to install Outlook 2010. Actually need a bit time to find out my Office 2010 DVD hehe... Will test it then let you know.

> Office Home and Business 2010, but the options are only to uninstall or change.

Do not touch it then.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I have on order a new laptop with windows 10. If W10 works out I could upgrade on my current PC. Would this help?

Also if there are advantages to upgrading Office I could do that also. Sometimes upgrades cause me more problems so I don't upgrade unless there is a good reason.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> Sometimes upgrades cause me more problems so I don't upgrade unless there is a good reason.

Agree with you. I don't upgrade everything. I am still using Office 2007, 2010 and 2013, on different computers. The same for OS.

> If W10 works out I could upgrade on my current PC. Would this help?

From the wording on the official site, i really doubt it. See the fine print at the bottom: "or a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Outlook 2007 or later or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts and calendars."

FROM: http://www.apple.com/au/icloud/setup/pc.html

However, Apple fans around the world can always try their best to that:

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/icloud-email-calendars-windows

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/use-apple-icloud-windows-10/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I rebooted the PC, and the outlook calendar now shows entries from yesterday. Also the iPhone shows an entry made in outlook yesterday.

So I added an entry on both calendars & restarted Outlook & the iPhone. But it did not sync.

Does iCloud take some time to sync?

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.
It should not take that long though I haven't found where to adjust the sync frequency or interval.FYI - two links for your referencehttp://www.macworld.com/article/1164786/business-software/syncing-icloud-with-windows-outlook.htmlhttp://www.codetwo.com/kb/icloud-outlook-synchronization-diagnostics/