NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have a 1,000 + line item list of product sales bought by

Customer Question

I have a 1,000 + line item list of product sales bought by customers. Customer A buys 3 different products or multiple purchases of the same product. I am trying to find a way to total all sales for a single customer name. While I can sort by name that doesn't give me a total. Is there an easy way to do this rather then manually adding up each customer?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I would be delighted to assist you. Can I conclude that you have prepared a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that includes the required data? It should certainly be straightforward to solve this problem for you. However, I need a bit more information. Would you be able to post the spreadsheet (XLS format, please, NOT XLSX) and give me a specific example of what columns and rows you want totaled under what conditions? Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This has confidential data. I will see if I can make a sample of a few line items and send it or carve out the confidential columns.

Thank you. I'm not interested in stealing your confidential data!! Please try to provide a complete spec.

Did you want a total for every customer, or do you just want to enter a customer into a cell and calculate then and there for that customer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot send a copy of the spreadsheet per compliance. The most I can do is describe.
1) There are 10 clients
2) There are 5 products
3) Client has a line item for each purchase of a product reflected by $
4) Not all clients purchase all products
5) Some clients purchase the same product multiple times
6) There are no total columns or rows, just line after line with client name, product & purchase amount.Question: Who are the top 10 clients as reflected by dollar amount of all purchases no matter what product? It could be one client with one big purchase (easy) or a client with a large number of smaller purchases. Without manually sorting by name & adding a total purchase column to put the manually summed amount by client into it - which will take hours - I wanted to know if there was an easier way.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The above description of the data is simplistic as I have hundreds of clients listed with thousands of transactions all in an excel spreadsheet.

Yes, I can provide Excel formulas that will do just what you like. I understand that you want a total displayed for each client. I also understand that you want the top ten clients indicated.

There is no direct way to retrieve all customers for which the sum is among the ten largest. This has to be done indirectly by macros that determine the top ten costs; use a database conditional scenario to find customers that correspond to those costs; and displaying those customers' names in another group of cells.

However, all extremely doable. Just rather more work than you may have hoped. It certainly won't take you hours upon hours of tedious, error-prone manipulation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your offer. The project has been completed. I found the "how to" formula upon searching further. I decline the offer.

That's terrific--even more terrific as there is no "formula" for selecting the individual values from a range.

You could, of course, DUPLICATE the per-customer total for EVERY line that deals with that customer.

Best of luck!