NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

I am trying to create a tool in excel where the user can

Customer Question

Hello, i am trying to create a tool in excel where the user can select from a series of options in one sheet and only the selected show up in the next sheet. Can you help me with this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I can certainly help you with this. I need a bit more detail about exactly what you're trying to accomplish. An example would be great.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the tool i am building is an interview tool. basically, the user is creating an interview. they would have an option on the first sheet of 8 different sets of questions for different relevant categories (2-3 question options per category). i was thinking of having the option tool for this? where they have to choose one of the 2-3 question options for each of the 8 categories. i am hoping that i can make it so that the one question they choose from each of the 8 categories can be shown on a separate sheet. that way that sheet can be printed out in a report format and used in the interview. let me know if i need to clarify anything.

I would prefer to discuss this in detail by phone. How are the options to show up? Did you envision checkboxes, or the user merely putting a "Yes" or a "1" in some column? Do you want the results collected and summarized in another worksheet? Etc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was envisioning an option button, but check boxes would work too, as long as i could make it so that they are only able to choose one of the question options for each category. for example there is a category of communicating, this category has 4 potential questions you can pick one. then there is another question about leadership, it has 5 potential questions and you can pick one. then there is another category, etc. the one question that you end up picking from each category is then shown in another sheet. so that it can be printed out and used in an interview. the user has basically created an interview from my tool.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the selections can all be made on the same sheet, just by scrolling down, but i would like for those final questions they pick (the one from each category), to show up together in a separate worksheet so they can see/print the final interview they have created with their question choices.

Thank you for your response. I really need a WORKED EXAMPLE where you just type an indicated question and options into a spreadsheet and attach an explanation. For example, the spreadsheet could say:

Which state do you live in?

and when the user picks an option, "California" is to appear in another cell, possibly on another worksheet.

With a CONCRETE, COMPLETE example--either in the question stream or by phone--I can develop this for you very straightforwardly. First, make certain your version of Excel is no older than 2007. I am eagerly anticipating your feedback.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have attached a sample file with filler information. again the main key is to make sure only the questions (and its components) that are selected from the first sheet are reflected in the "report out" sheet. The rest of it (the category titles and definitions) i think i can figure out on my own. Thank you for your help!

Once again, I have zero concept which are the QUESTIONS and which are the possible ANSWERS to each question. Do you want checkboxes? If the user checks a box next to one of the ANSWERS, do you want it to show up in another cell?

Is a "question probe" or a "question anchor" one of the available choices? I mean, I'm really trying hard here for a meaningful example that presents a QUESTION and the available CHOICES, and I don't seem to be getting through. Thank you for your perseverance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks like I am the one not getting through.This is for an interview. There are no "answer options." Let's say you are a manager that is going to be doing an interview for a role. You will go into this tool and choose one question under communication, one question under leadership, and one question under decision making.That question, Along with its components (probes and 3 anchors, which are on the same line in the sample fileI sent you) will move onto the next page.When it is time for the interview, you will print out to use in your interview. The benefit to this tool being that you don't need to take a big long document into an interview with all the question options for each category. You will only be taking one piece of paper with the questions that you have selected.I used the option function as a way to select, but check boxes are fine as well. The only thing will be that for each category you should only be able to choose one question. So for communication, if you select one of the questions as the one you want to use in the interview, you can't then select a second communication question. Same goes for each of the other categories.So the only CHOICES you have here are which question you want to move forward for each of the categories. The question you choose will move over to the separate sheet, along with its corresponding probe and 3 anchors.

This is readily doable but requires entirely non-trivial software development. I have advised JustAnswer about the situation. Please stand by. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I saw that you suggested a price increase. I have contacted customer service twice because the link they gave me does not work. I am willing to give the few extra bucks but am not able to. Are you able to get them to resend it from your end?

I wasn't trying to gouge. Please understand that some questions can be answered simply, while others are going to take some effort to solve (TIME, not intellectual challenge necesarily) and prepare and upload an EXAMPLE so everything is crystal-clear.

Let me press the button here and see what I can do. I won't gouge. I'm not supposed to discuss price.

A complete EXAMPLE --- even if you could draw it on paper and upload a scanned-in image --- would be TERRIFIC.