NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

I have been using Excel 2016 to record sales and purchases

Customer Question

I have been using Excel 2016 to record sales and purchases of stock for my business. I used one workbook to record the transactions and other workbooks as 'Stock record', different ones for different categories. I created a Transaction Number in the transaction sheet along with the details of what how many items were bought or sold by who, when. Each item had a Bin Reference that automatically came up when the Item was picked from a drop down list. I then copy the Transaction Number into the appropriate column on that Bin Ref Stock Card and the transaction details would fill in and the running total of stock would be amended.
It works fine but I now want to streamline the system aand I want to seperate Sales from Purchases. This means that when a transaction Number is ***** in the Stock Sheet it needs to diffentiate between Sales and Purchases and find the transaction information in different workbooks. I can make the transaction numbers different between Sales and Purchases by using a 1xxxxxxx for Purchases and 2xxxxxxx for sales but how can I lookup information in one workbook or another? I currently use INDEX MATCH with an IF for errors.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Delighted to solve this for you, but not for $9.